15 January 2018

Terrain Tutorial: Pillars

I've made some ancient civilization style pillars for my games of Frostgrave. It was a nice little project to do, cheap and good looking. For this project I've gone with colours and style matching my other Frostgrave stuff. But I might do these for Ghost Archipelago - in sand stone colours. Would also work for some easy Gangs of Rome terrain.

Showcase photos in the bottom of the post or in this (with other photos as well) picture post.

Materials
  • Wedding cake pillars. Found mine on Ali Express for less than 1$ per pillar. 
  • Cork sheet. You can use cheap a trivet from Ikea. 
  • Iron bolt, nut or screw
  • Plastic card
  • Super glue
  • Bases: Cardboard, flock, woodglue
Step 1:
Having scatter terrain fall over is the worst! I hate it. So I always try to add bases to it (like pallets for modern scatter). I've used some 4mm cork sheet. Draw up some squares a bit larger than the base of the pillars.



Step 2:
Cork can break to easily, so glue some cardboard beneath it. I use woodglue. Put a book on it, while it dries.

Step 3: 
Cut out the bases. To be absolutely sure these won't fall over, I've super glued som old iron screws to the cork bases. The pillars are hollow, so it's no problem.



Step 4:
Glue the pillars to the bases. I cut up two pillars for some broken ones. Made some thin cardboard bases for those.


Step 5:
Close up the top of the pillars with thin plastic card or cardboard.



Step 6:
Do the same with the broken pillars. I've made clean cuts, so it's easy to cover with a disc piece.
For the broken pillars I've added som tiles to the base and spread sand on it, while the glue was wet.


Step 7: 
For painting I've base coated with a cheap grey spray. Washed the pillars in Agrax Earthshade and drybrushed it all light grey.



Step 8: 
Add some greens. I use green flock for crawling ivy style plants. And add snow. I make my own snow paste from a mixture of wood glue, water, white acryllic paint, baking powder and white aquarium sand.

Step 9:
I frostcoat all my Frostgrave terrain with a white spray. Sprayed in short bursts from 60cm (2') distance. Gives a nice look, like on a really cold morning - and dulls the green flock. After this I add brown grass and winter flowers .

Showcase
The fun 'playing with dolls' part. Putting it all up and taking some nice photos. Snow shots done with the app 'Just Snow'. Gaming mat by Ceri Design (cheap felt mats).







2 comments: