The resulting terrain is perfect for Deadzone, Necromunda, Scrappers, 40k and even works for 20mm vehicle combat like Auto Kill.
Build the silos from tin cans and various bits I found in the bit box.
Painting tips and photos of the done pieces are at the end of the blog post.
Find the right cans. I took a 3" battle system tile to the grocery store, because I wanted my silos to fit into the Deadzone grid system. Found some with a top fitting perfectly into a 3'' square and 4,5'' high.
Time to put together some silos.
I wanted to match the terrain for my other yellow and grey industrial terrain. I base coated the silos with a cheap gray spray paint. The hatches, lamps and top pieces got a single burst of brown spray. The piping was spray painted brown.
Went with the freehand hazzard stripes on the top of each silo. I tried using masking tape, but it didn't work for me.
All the metal detailing (including pipes) was done with a wet palette mix of different brown, rust and iron colours. Not done nicely, just splashed together for some easy nuance differences.
The lamps were painted flourescent green, that I also used for some ooze from pipes.
The grey was a bit boring, so I added some extra detail with white stencil letters / numbers on the front and back (freehand painted though).
I used some near black (super dark brown) wash for run off weathering from rusted details. And the entire silo was given a wash of watered down strong tone as a last layer.
Two evenings of work. One night building and base coating. Another night of painting the pieces. Six pieces done.
Had a lot of fun trying out different configurations of the tarrain.